Schramsberg’s history dates back to the 19th century, when German immigrant, Jacob Schram purchased property on the eastern side of Diamond Mountain. This marked the beginning of Schramsberg Vineyards – the second bonded winery in Napa Valley. Together with wife Annie Weaver, the couple cleared the property and began planting European grape varietals to produce wine. From this humble beginning, the business continued to grow. By the 1870s, Schram dug cellars into hills on the property and by 1876 Schramsberg was producing 12,000 gallons of wine. Within a few years, Schramsberg had expanded to over 50 acres and was producing 12,000 cases each year, with distributions as far as New York and London. Schramsberg continued to prosper through the end of the 19th century. However, following Jacob’s death in 1905, production gradually decreased until it ceased in 1912.
Over one hundred years later Jack and Jamie Davies restored the Schramsberg estate in 1965. They set out to produce sparkling wine. Schramsberg has also played a role in world history as The Blanc de Blancs was used for President Nixon’s 1972 “Toast to Peace” with China’s Premier Zhou Enlai. Since then, Schramsberg’s sparkling wines have been served at official State functions by every U.S. Presidential administration. Through the decades, this spirit of innovation earned Schramsberg and the Davies worldwide praise and recognition.